Neem Soap – Uses of Neem Oil in Skincare
What is Neem Oil Soap?
About 80% of all neem oil in India is used in the process of making neem soap. Neem oil is extracted from neem tree. It is sourced from the tropical neem plant which is also called the Indian lilac. Neem oil thus acquired is a primary ingredient used in making neem soap for skin. Unlike other essential oils like that of the tea tree or lavender, neem oil is not just an additive in a soap, it instead is the main product. It forms the base of the neem soap in India and elsewhere. It is considered as the best antibacterial soap in India.
Neem oil has been used around the world as a folk remedy for centuries. It has been used for years to treat a variety of conditions. Neem soaps are rich in medicinal properties and can be used for many purposes. Because of the presence of neem extracts, neem soap is full of nutrients and has high content of fatty acids, vitamin E, calcium, antioxidants, triglycerides and limonoids.
Benefits of Neem Oil Soap
- Backed by scientific evidence – PubMed Central conducted a small study in 2012 with nine people. This study produced the result which showed that an organic soap like that of neem helps in the healing process of post-surgical wounds in the scalp. In another study in 2013, it was concluded by the researchers that in the treatment of acne, neem soap is ideal for prolonged treatment. In 2014, an animal study was conducted in which it was found that tumours caused by skin cancer can be treated by neem oil.
- Neem oil is a boon to your skin – Neem extracts have been used in organic soaps for many years. It is ideal for treating skin disorders and daily skincare. Because of its nutritional effects on scalp and skin, neem shampoo and neem soap are trendy cosmetics. Neem products are known to relieve itching and redness in irritated skins. Cracked and dry skin can be moisturised and made smooth by using neem soaps for the skin. Because of its disinfecting properties, skin problems caused due to fungus, parasite or infection is cured quickly by Neem soap.
- Appear young and healthy – Most of us are afraid to look old and wrinkled. However, we cannot beat time and show signs of old age. The medicinal and nutritional properties in Neem oil reduces the effects of ageing and does not let it reflect on the skin. Premature wrinkles and fine lines are also prevented by regular use of neem soap.
- Great for the scalp – Organic soaps and neem oil soaps are not only helpful to the skin below your neck but also your head. Neem oil is highly beneficial for the scalp as it can be used for treating problems like dry scalp and dandruff. Like neem soaps, neem oil is a primary product used in making neem shampoo. Neem oil can also be used along with other oils like that of coconut or almond and massaged deeply into the scalp. After letting it sit for an hour, it can be rinsed away to get a dandruff-free and healthy scalp.
Things to watch out for when buying Neem oil soap
- Look for the perfect composition – Even though pure neem soap is hugely beneficial, it is not entirely made out of neem oil. A cleanser with 20% neem oil content does the job pretty well. The highest content of neem oil in your name soap must lie in the range of 30% to 40%. Soaps with such high compositions are a bit strong, but they provide the maximum benefit as well. Also, soaps with high neem content will have a strong smell and won’t be fragrant.
- Look for cleansers that use both Neem leaves and Neem oil – Because a high content of neem oil in the soap makes it very strong, often a little amount is used. This is compensated by the addition of neem leaf extract in neem soap in India. Like Neem oil, Neem leaves are also excellent sources of nutrition for the skin and hair. There are soaps which include both neem oil, as well as neem leaves, are ideal.
- Invest in handcrafted soaps – There are two processes of making Neem Oil—Cold Pressing and Solvent Extraction. In the process of Solvent Extraction, a lot of processing and heat is involved, which destroys many of the nutritional properties of neem oil. Soaps made using this process often contain traces of the solvents used, resulting in skin damage.
On the other hand, Cold Pressing retains the nutritional values but is expensive. Handcrafted neem soaps are the best as they use high-quality ingredients. People who handcraft neem soaps are specialists who hardly incorporate cheap or duplicate elements.
Neem oil soaps are thus the best antibacterial soap in India. Because of its many medicinal properties, it can be used to treat a variety of complications in the human body. The benefits of neem have been known for centuries. In ancient times the raw plant was used to heal wounds and treat the skin after an accident.
In modern times, with the growth of scientific discoveries, the advantages of using neem as an ingredient in soaps, shampoos and other cosmetic products have been realised. Many experiments have proven that neem oil is indeed a great source of nutrients. However, specific points need to be kept in mind while buying neem soaps as these products can be easily duplicated with false ingredients. A careful examination and background research of the commodities will go a long way in ensuring that you buy only the best items and treat your skin to the best care.